Monday 22 December 2008

... ill

So this was my last week working in my current job...so what did I do? Spent most of it ill in bed! Now normally you would think that this is maybe a good thing...but I actually wanted to work this week! I flew down to Southampton on Monday, and felt a little poorly with flu like symptoms, but thought I would just sleep it of...but no. So I spent the next day in bed...and then Wednesday I got sent home as I was just getting worse, and there is not much worse then being ill in a hotel room all on your own.
So I missed my goodbye drinks in Southampton, I missed my London office Christmas party which would have been my last chance to say goodbye to lots of my work colleagues, and I missed my night out in Sheffield on Friday too, as I still was not good. So all in all a very very poor week!
On the plus side though, I have now finished...and can honestly say it is a nice feeling not knowing when I will next work a day in the UK. I will of course miss all my work mates, but I am really looking forward to a new challenge...and one that I think I will be very very good at.
So this week coming...its Christmas! I only have a little Christmas shopping to do, so that shouldn't take too long at all.
In my family we don't do big presents for everyone...we do a draw of names, and just buy 1 person something for around £30, and the rest of the money we would have spent we spend buying pigs and trees and water for third world countries. I actually really like doing this! I am the kinda guy who buys what I want when I see it...so I generally don't have a very big wish list at all at Christmas, so I really don't mind not getting things I wouldn't use anyway.
This year I am expecting some cookbooks and bits and bobs like that for my pressie...I need to be able to survive on more then my basic knowledge once I get to Sweden. (although I do make a VERY good lasagne with chillies!)
I have also decided I really need to start the tidying and sorting and packing process...mainly so I know what I want to take! I know there is not lots...my clothes, TV, PS3, Golf clubs..but I am now thinking of buying the basic things I will need there too...like toothpaste and spare hair gel..not because I don't think they will have it, I think I will just feel better knowing I have a supply in case I don't like what I do find.

Things I have learnt this week:
Being ill in a hotel is really really boring
Always make the most of the opportunities you do have with people...you never know when the next one may be
I really really don't want to have to sell my car as it has special memories attached to it too

No comments: