Thursday 30 October 2008

... trying to translate Irish

Amongst trying to sort out when I will be moving to Helsingborg, I have also been having to get on with my current job, and so had the great pleasure of going to Dublin for the week. How lovely...I thought!

Firstly, my flight last Monday was at 7:55am, so after a rude awakening at 5:30 by the alarm I waited for a LONG time for my taxi (it broke down) and ended up getting to the airport at 7:15am. I ran to the gate, and was very politely told that they had stopped check in at 7:10. Bum.

So I then started one of the strangest Mondays I have had for a long time... 6 hours in Arrivals (the only place that sold tea(6 cups)) 2 hours in departure lounge, an hour or so VERY bumpy flight to Dublin, a 10 minute Taxi ride that cost 20Euro, and an arrival at my Hotel. All in all a pretty shoddy work day.

I have to say that Dublin was not all that impressive. Yeah, it was quite pretty in places, but not somewhere I personally would want to live. However, I was very impressed by the local ladies, the combination of the Irish accent and very friendly personalities...ideal!

Oh, while I think about it, did you know that you don’t need to pass your test to drive in Ireland?? I didn't...until after I had had a few lifts with a very cute girl who then told me. Strange.

Anyway, I did my work in the Dublin store all week, and then went to fly home on the Friday. Well, when I say home, I was going to visit my Grandpa and Auntie, Uncle and 2 cousins in Kent, so I was flying to London City. However, there was a bomb scare, so I ended up going to Southend airport and having to drive from there! Oh well, at least I can tick another place of my list of places I don't really want to visit.
But I did have a very nice weekend, and it was really nice to spend time with everyone.

It was also my big sisters birthday this week, and my 4 year old nephews birthday last week, so we had a family meal on Tuesday, which was very nice indeed. But no jelly and ice cream....very disappointing.

Sheesh, I really need to learn to keep these blogs shorter, or no-one will read them!

So...Helsingborg! I have sorted a date...I start on the 17th November! It is rather complicated though, as I am doing 2 weeks in Sweden, then coming back to the UK for December to help with some projects I have been overseeing, and then start officially on the 1st Jan in the new job and hopefully new flat.

So things I have learnt this week:
Always leave lots of time to check in before a flight
You can drive without a licence in Ireland
There are lots of cute brunettes in Dublin
I only have 17 more days of really living in the UK!

1 comment:

Mark Base said...

BRILLIANT!

Always nice to have an additional expat drinking buddy in this cold dark town.

Välkommen till Sverige!