Thursday 22 January 2009

... settling in and getting a visitor!

Hej!


Yet again I need to apologise for the length of time it has taken between blogs, but I still have no internet at home! But I received a card saying I could pick up my modem now, so hopefully I will be up and working very soon!

So what have I been up to since I last blogged...hmmm, well unless I write yet another stupidly long post I better just give the summary!

I have been building lots of IKEA furniture..in fact I am sure I have actually put together more then I bought, or maybe that’s just the way it makes you feel!
I have been settling into work, trying to get my head around the job and my new team and trying to explain in a nice way what my expectations and goals are. I have noticed that the Swedish work philosophy is very different to the UK one...I cant really pinpoint exactly why right now, but I am sure I will return to this topic soon enough!
I have also been making friends, and strengthening other friendships...my visits to the pubs and bars round Helsingborg are still quite high, which apart from the cost is a very good thing as it saves me being bored!
And that’s another thing...my UK delivery is still not here! I have now been informed that it now has a delivery date of the 29th Jan...a full 18 days after the first delivery date. Not a happy bunny about that!
I have also had my first proper visitor! (as in one that stays at my flat) So this weekend has been my best so far...thank you Sarah! We didn't really do all that much to be fair, went out for dinner a few times, went to a bar or two, had long chats late into the evening...all things that I really miss living alone, and made so much better with great company :)
We also had a really really good laugh together, in fact I have finally found someone who thinks I am very funny...lets see how long that lasts! lol. All I have to say is 'Perchow' ... Sarah is now nearly crying with laughter :)

On another positive note, I am now a Swedish Bank Account holder, and have my very own Personnummer (like a Swedish identity number...necessary for all manner of things here!) which means I have now ordered my broadband, TV package and home phone.
Talking of phones...did you know you need to live here for at least 6 moths before you can get a contract phone?? I guess it is probably the same in most countries, its just something I wasn’t prepared for and so was shocked by it!
Also, a pay as you go phone here is ridiculously expensive! I have bought the cheapest one they had...and it still cost me 600KR (about £55) but I have got a nice pay as you go package, that lets me text home for 29kr (about 2.5 pence) which is way better then the 25 pence it was costing me from my UK phone!

On a very different note, but still about money, anyone that is thinking of coming to Helsingborg from Copenhagen should really look into coming up to Helsingor on the Danish side by train (incidentally the castle here is the one from Hamlet, and worth checking out) and then getting the ferry across to Helsingborg. The time it takes is very similar to coming across the bridge to Malmo and then coming by train up the Swedish side, and yet it cost about half as much. Strange business logic if you ask me. Surely it would make more sense to make them at least close... oh well, yet another great piece of Swedish logic :)

One of my team members is going to Thailand for 4 weeks, so tomorrow we have an 'afterwork' to wish him the best...and to be honest its a great way to get people to come out..they aren't so good at just coming out if there isn't a better reason then 'because you want to'. But I am building up a few friends who I can just drop a line and grab a beer with, so that’s always good.

Other then that I don't have an awful lot planned for this weekend...but I will see how I feel and what invites I get.

What I have learned this fortnight :
It is imperative that you try and get into the system in a new country very quickly...you can’t do much without national identification of some sort
Spending time with friends is one of the most special times you get...make the most of them
Its worth trying different routes to and from places...or ask on of the locals, as things are not always what they seem!

PS. I love wot!

No comments: